A hot summer day in early afternoon we were in Heidelberg of all places. Landed at random in a restaurant that served us lovely white wine and fennel orange salad. It was good, but was missing a thing or two, mostly a bit of flavour punch.
- 1 fennel
- 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 juicing oranges
- Half a pomegranate
- 1 tablespoon of orange-flavoured olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, sea salt
- A dash of lemon
- 1 shot of Pernod
How to Make It:
- Slice the fennel in strips.
- Blanche the fennel. (Boil it for 3 minutes in water).
- Heat up the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan on medium to high heat. Throw in the fennel and let it roast a bit but no colour change should appear.
- Juice 1 orange and gradually add the orange juice to the fennel, and let it simmer until reduced.
- In the meantime, fillet the remaining oranges.
- Separate pomegranate beads from skin and membrane.
- When the orange juice is reduced to about 1/2 to 1/4, add the Pernod and lemon juice to the mix, season with freshly ground pepper and salt, and continue simmering for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Let cool down.
- Make dressing by mixing the flavored olive oil and reduced orange juice, season with additional pepper and salt to taste.
- Place the fennel and dressing into an appropriate salad bowl, mix in the orange fillets and sprinkle the pomegranate over it.
- Cover the dish and let it settle and cool in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Take it out of the fridge and let it get a bit closer to room temperature (10 minutes or so).
- Enjoy your salad!