Tired of rice bowls and lunch salads? – Here is a recipe for a refreshing lentil bowl. colorful lentils and lots of fresh vegetables make up a colorful and tasty dish with a lot of crunch to it!
Feel free to choose whichever topping you like. I opted for some slow-roasted chicken breast which I had rubbed with a hot peri peri spice mix for some extra flavor kick, as well as for some sun-dried tomato and dried mango slices. A few piece of fresh salmon are great as well with this dish.
For a fully vegetarian dish, I suggest replacing the chicken with fried halloumi, or with fried tofu for a vegan dish. Consider sprinkling with some chopped chili or curry cashew nuts for an extra of flavor kick.
Ingredients (3 to 4 servings):
For the chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts
- juice of 1 lemon
- peri peri spice mix
- Per bowl: 1 sundried tomato, sliced into thin strips
- Per bowl: 1-2 dried mangoes, sliced into thin strips
For the lentil bowl:
- 50 grams of yellow lentils
- 50 grams of red lentils
- 50 grams of beluga lentils
- sea salt
- 1/2 green pepper, finely sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, finely sliced
- 1/2 yellow pepper, finely sliced
- 1 celery stalk, finely sliced
- 50 grams of sugar snaps, cut in half
- ca. 100 grams of cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
For the dressing:
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 4-5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shot of limoncello
- freshly ground pepper, salt
- 1 tablespoon of finely chopped parsley (keep a few leaves for the decoration)
Preparing the chicken:
- Rub the chicken breast with sea salt and marinate in the lemon juice for 2 up to 24 hours.
- Rub with the spice mix and marinate for another hour.
- Place in the oven at 150 degrees Celsius, cover and roast for approximately 40 minutes. Let cool down completely.
- Wrap in aluminium foil or preserve in an airtight container in the fridge if you do not process the chicken immediately. It keeps to 1 to 2 days.
Preparing the lentil bowl:
- Bring water to the boil. It should be enough to well cover the lentils. Add approximately 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt.
- When the water boils, add the beluga lentils and simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Strain and immediately rinse with plenty of cold water until completely cooled down. The lentils should be al dente.
- Repeat the same procedure with the red and yellow lentils which also may be boiled together. they require less time – approximately 10 minutes of simmering -until al dente.
- Place the lentils in large bowl and add the sliced peppers, celery, sugar snap and tomato halves. Gently mix all of the ingredients.
Preparing the dressing:
- Mix all of the ingredients for the dressing together, and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the lentils and vegetables into serving bowls and pour some dressing on top. If you serve the entire dish at once, you may also mix the dressing under the lentils and vegetables first and then deploy them into individual bowls.
- Slice the chicken breasts and place a few slices on top of each bowl.
- Decorate with the sun-dried tomato and dried mango slices as well as with a leaf of fresh parsley. – Enjoy!