This is a wonderfully warming and rich soup with an oriental twist that may be served as a main or starter. Serve with freshly baked naan bread (Naan Bread).
Ingredients (serves 3-4):
- 3 tablespoons of ghee (alternatively butter)
- 1 leek, chopped
- ca. 10 grams of freshly ground ginger
- 75 grams of finely ground blanched almond
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- ca. 10-12 peppercorns, ground in mortar
- 1 fresh green chili, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 75 grams of green peas, fresh (shelled) or frozen
- 1 chicken breast without skin (ca. 125 to 150 grams), cut into cubes
- 1-2 tablespoons of fresh chopped cilantro (amount to taste) and a few leaves for decoration
- 250 ml of water
- 200 grams of liquid cream
- Melt the ghee over medium heat in a large deep skillet or wok.
- Add the leek and sauté until soft (should not turn brown). Add the ginger and sauté for 1 minute longer.
- Lower the heat to low to medium. Gradually add the almond, salt, ground peppercorns, chili, carrot, peas and chicken. Fry for approximately 10 to 15 minutes (until the chicken is cooked through) while stirring constantly.
- Add the cilantro towards the end of the frying time and fry for another minute.
- Remove from the heat and let cool down a bit. Then transfer to a blender and blitz for approximately 1.5 to 2 minutes. Add the water and process for another 30 seconds to 1 minute until smooth.
- Pour back into the (cleaned) pan and bring to the boil, stir every now and then to prevent from sticking to the bottom. Lower the heat once boiling and stir in the cream.
- Let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until properly heated through. Keep stirring occasionally.
- Serve in pre-warmed soup bowls decorated with a few leaves of cilantro.