This fragrant and light soup pis made with ginger, chili and lots of lemon grass. It can certainly be enjoyed all year round, but it’s especially welcome during the cold days.
- 4-6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon of ghee or butter
- 6 stalks of lemon grass
- 50-60 grams of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 chilis, seeds and membrane removed and finely sliced
- 400 ml of fish stock
- 2-3 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1/2 cube of palm sugar (or 1/2 tablespoon)
- juice of 1 lime
- 6-8 tablespoons of coconut milk
- 100 grams of pre-cooked prawns
- For serving: wedges of lime, some fresh chili (finely chopped), fresh coriander
- Start by soaking the mushrooms in a bowl with cold water.
- Melt the butter (or ghee) in a large pot over low to medium heat.
- Remove the bottom tip and the outer leaf from the lemongrass stalks. Place flat on a cutting board and use the blade of a large kitchen knife to press down, so the stalks will just start to break open (this will help release the flavor during the cooking process). Roughly cut up and fry for a minute in the butter without browning.
- Add the ginger and the chili.Fry for another minute, then add the fish stock and another 400 ml of water.
- Add the fish sauce (to taste).
- Let simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Then pass through a strainer, catching the liquid in another pot. Discard the solid contents.
- Season the soup with lime juice, palm sugar and coconut milk, and – if you like – more fish sauce.
- Take the mushroom out of the water, let drip off well and cut into long strips. Add to the soup.
- Bring the soup to the boil. Add the prawns and boil for 30 minutes, then serve directly with wedges of lime, finely chopped fresh chili and fresh coriander for individual seasoning.