The first time I had this cocktail was a couple of years ago in a very posh restaurant/bar in Barcelona, a place that according to its website lays claim to cater to „the coolest people in Barcelona“. So not my kind of joint.
However, I was with a friend who told me it was worth a visit for the sake of the extravagant interior decor and the excellent drinks. He was right about both.
As this blog is not about interior design, I skip a description of the Count Dracula-style bathroom and overladen African hunters lodge / (neo-)Gothic theme-confused main rooms and jump straight to the drinks (however, to provide some visual explanation of the place itself, I added a few pictures in the picture gallery below). – The cocktail I ordered came under a nondescript name and with a shot of champagne on the side to be poured over a provocative passion fruit half floating tantalizingly on top of the alluring alcohol mix in the martini glass. It was served by a very shy waiter who placed it on my table commenting my words of admiration on the beautiful creation with the confusing utterance „like a pornstar“.
I was very insulted. – That is, until my friend hinted in a friendly manner that he had probably meant the drink, called Pornstar Martini. Ah!
So, with neither the martini nor how I got to discover it easily forgotten, I wanted to reproduce the cocktail at home and started looking for a recipe online. Of course, in case you are reading this, you already went in the right direction (I trust), but should you want to compare other recipes with the one posted here, here is another lesson that I took away from investigating the cheekily named concoction: Make sure to not stop short at the first word and also type „martini“ into your search engine before pressing „Enter“…
- Crushed ice
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 4 cl of vodka
- 4 cl of Passoã
- 0.5 shot of vanilla syrup
- 2 passion fruits
- 1 shot of champagne or crémant
- Fill crushed ice into a martini glass, set aside.
- Fill crushed ice into a Boston shaker.
- Add the lime juice, the vodka, Passoã and vanilla syrup.
- Cut the passion fruit in half, set 1 half aside and scrape the flesh out of the remaining 3 halves with a teaspoon, add it to the shaker.
- Insert the mixing container into the shaker bottom and shake vigorously.
- Use a Hawthorne strainer to strain into a martini glass after discarding the ice from the glass.
- Place the remaining passion fruit half on top of the drink.
- Serve with the shot of champagne on the side.