I used a recipe for a Sicilian potato salad which I learned during a vacation on this beautiful island as the base for this recipe and tweaked it just a little bit. Sicilian cuisine uses capers preserved in salt which are rinsed very thoroughly before consumption, but I still find the taste a bit too harsh and salty. So I used capers preserved in brine which are more common in Central European cuisine. The original recipe also uses dried oregano instead of fresh herbs, and the green beans and boiled eggs are my own addition – the green beans add a nice bite and color to the dish and the eggs add a bit of creaminess. The red onion certainly brings a nice spiciness to the dish but not everyone likes raw onion which I why I put it down as optional. Work yourself backwards if you wish to try the original Sicilian recipe.
- 300 to 400 grams of small potatoes („Drillinge“)
- 200 grams of green beans
- 200 grams of grape tomatoes
- 2 hard boiled eggs (cooled down)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons of capers, drained & carefully rinsed in cold water and patted dry
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
- freshly ground pepper, salt
- 3 to 4 stems of fresh oregano
- Optional: a quarter of a red onion, finely chopped
- Thoroughly wash the potatoes, boil with skin until al dente (approximately 15 minutes), place in cold water immediately and let cool down. Then cut into halves.
- Wash the green beans and remove tips, then cut into halves. Blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes, drain and rinse well in cold water until fully cooled down.
- Wash and dry the tomatoes, cut in quarters.
- Roughly chop the capers.
- Chop the hard boiled eggs into small pieces.
- Blanch the lemon zest (all white bits removed) in boiling water for 3 minutes, drain and rinse in cold water and repeat two more times. Pat dry and chop very finely.
- Make a dressing from the olive oil, vinegar and lemon zest and season with freshly ground pepper and salt.
- Mix all of the ingredients and the dressing in a large bowl.
- Wash and dry the oregano and chop finely. Mix under the potato salad. Optionally, mix in the finely chopped red onion as well.
- Serve at room temperature.