This simple enough recipe is part of my recent dabblings with Italian pâtisserie. It is for a dense and very moist cake with a rich taste of ricotta and lemon. Enjoy it very fresh!
Ingredients (for a 28 cm Ø baking pan):
- 500 grams of ricotta
- 250 grams of caster sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 130 grams of flour
- zest of 1.5 lemons
- 1 shot of limoncello
- 5 level teaspoons of baking powder
- For decoration: icing sugar, 1 tablespoon of sliced almond, 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- With a balloon whisk, whisk the ricotta and gradually add the sugar until very smooth and creamy. – Give it some time, best to use an electric balloon whisk if you do not wish to wake up with a sore arm the next morning 😉
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks until very creamy. Then fold into the ricotta.
- Sift the flour and the baking powder and gradually fold into the batter as well.
- Fold in the lemon zest and the limoncello.
- In separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into the batter.
- Pre-heat the oven to 165 degrees Celsius.
- Butter a 28 cm Ø baking pan. Fill the batter into the baking pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for approximately 50 minutes to 1 hour. Check regularly that the top does not turn too dark or otherwise, reduce the temperature slightly.
- Let cool down completely before serving.
- Decorate immediately before serving with sliced almond, dust with icing sugar and sprinkle some lemon zest over the top. Enjoy fresh!