These fragrant biscuits require few ingredients, are fast to make and are incredibly delicious. Traditionally served as dessert on Good Friday, no animal products are used in the recipe which traditionally were not allowed during the time of Lent under religious rules. They are available all year round these days mainly in the south of Corsica and the reason is clear: Flavored with white wine and pastis, these crumbly biscuits are quite simply delightful!
Ingredients (for approximately 12 biscuits):
- 250 grams of flour
- 75 grams of caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 60 ml of olive oil (not too heavy tasting)
- 30 ml of dry white wine
- 30 ml of pastis
- Optional: 1 tablespoon of sugar for decoration
- Pass the flour through a fine mesh. In a large bowl, mix with the sugar and salt.
- Add the olive oil, white wine and pastis. Mix carefully with a baking spatula. Then transfer onto a baking mat and quickly knead into a smooth dough. (Should the dough be to dry, add some more white wine and pastis respecting the proportion of 1:1 of the two ingredients.)
- Wrap into cling film and keep in the fridge for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (fan oven).
- At the end of the refrigerating time, remove from the fridge and roll out the dough in all directions (best use a non-stick baking mat) to approximately 0.8 cm thickness. Lift from the working space to permit some air to goo under the dough before continuing to the next step – the dough is very elastic and this will permit the dough to retract and the biscuits to keep their shape.
- Use a round crinkle edge cutter (Ø 6 to 8 cm) to cut out the biscuits. Sprinkle with sugar for decoration (if you like).
- Place the biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes. Throughout this time, observe that the biscuits do not turn too dark. After 15 minutes, reduce the temperature to 160 and continue baking for another 5 to 10 minutes. (With a shorter baking time, the centre will remain moist/slightly underdone in the center. Choose the baking time in accordance with what you like best.)