Shortly before the end of the mussel season, here’s a recipe for a luxurious seafood pasta dish bringing together Giant Tiger Prawns, blue mussels and sweet cherry tomatoes. Black spaghetti are the „obvious“ choice of pasta for this dish, both for their dramatic look and silky taste.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, whole, slightly pressed down
- 6-8 raw Giant Tiger Prawns, heads and guts removed
- 100 ml of dry white wine
- 100 ml of seafood stock
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1/2 red chili, seeds and membrane removed, chopped
- ground white pepper, salt
- 200 grams of fresh spaghetti
- 250 grams of blue mussels, cleaned
- 200 grams of cherry tomatoes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 bunch of fresh basil, chopped
- Heat up the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium to high heat.
- Add the garlic, fry from all sides for about a minute, then remove and discard.
- Sear the prawns from both sides for about a minute until they become nicely pink. Remove and set aside.
- Deglaze with white wine. Reduce temperature to medium and let reduce to approximately 1/4.
- In the meantime, prepare the pasta according to instruction. Boil until al dente minus 2 minutes. Time in a way that pasta and sauce are ready at the same time.
- While the pasta is getting ready, continue preparing the sauce: Add the seafood stock, the butter and the chili to the reduced white wine, season with white pepper and a little bit of salt, bring to simmering temperature and add the mussels. Cover and cook for about 3-4 minutes until the mussels have just opened.
- Uncover, add the tomatoes, the prawns, the spaghetti and the basil. Keep on the heat for 1-2 more minutes while tossing constantly.
- Add some black pepper and salt according to taste. Serve on pre-heated pasta dishes and enjoy!