Cyrus and me were standing at the cash register in a supermarket the other day waiting for our turn, when we saw the picture of a delicious looking quiche on the title page of a cooking magazine that was laid out for purchase next to the chewing gum. The description said „parmesan quiche“ and I found the idea intriguing enough to come up with my own recipe.
And as the market is currently offering all types of different tomatoes, I had opted for a side of lukewarm tomato salad.
Ingredients (serves 4):
For the pastry:
- 150 grams of flour
- 75 grams of cold butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 medium egg yolk
- a couple of tablespoons of water
For the filling:
- 500 grams of crème fraîche
- 250 rams of quark (< 10% fat)
- 4 medium eggs
- 1/2 to 3/4 chili pepper (medium hot), finely chopped
- 200 grams of parmesan (Parmigiano-Reggiano or Gran Padano), grated
- freshly ground pepper, salt
For the tomato salad:
- 1 kg of fresh tomatoes, mixed types & colors
- several tablespoons of good olive oil
- 1 bundle of fresh basil, chopped
- freshly ground pepper, salt
Preparing the pastry:
- Pass the flour through a fine mesh onto the clean kitchen counter or a baking mat. Cut the cold butter into small pieces into the flour. Rub the butter and the flour between your hands until you have a crumble.
- Add the salt. Form a depression in the center of your flour mix and add the egg yolk. Quickly start kneading the ingredients adding tablespoons of water one by one until the dough is smooth, but not sticky. Should the dough become too sticky, add a bit more flour.
- Form a ball, wrap it into cellophane and let the dough rest in the refrigerator for approximately 15 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (fan oven).
- Butter a quiche pan and press the dough into the bottom and up the sides. Prick the bottom with a fork all over.
- Put the quiche pan into the oven and bake only the crust for 10 minutes (blind baking). Take the crust out of the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 160 degrees Celsius (fan oven) for baking the quiche with the filling.
Preparing the filling:
- Mix the crème fraîche and the quark in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and beat with an electric mixer on low speed until well mixed.
- Fold in the chili and the parmesan. Season with freshly ground pepper and to taste.
- Pour the filling into the cake pan over the pre-baked pastry.
- Bake at 160 degrees Celsius for approximately 50 to 55 minutes. Should the top of the quiche turn too brown, reduce the temperature.
- Take out of the oven and let cool off a bit, thus allowing the egg to coagulate further.
Preparing the tomato salad:
- Wash and dry the tomatoes. Then cut into halves, quarters or eighths depending on their size. I did non cut out the stalk for the sake of the nicer look, but that means that you should give a warning to your guests.
- Pour the olive oil into a large pan and heat up over medium to high temperature. Do not be too stingy with the oil, it gives a lot of taste to the dish.
- Reduce the temperature to medium and add the tomatoes and warm up for approximately 5 minutes until just giving off juice.
- Take of the heat and stir in the basil. Season with freshly ground pepper and sat to taste.
- Serve as a side to a slice of quiche.